- for as long as hope could remember, she was a tomboy. she never really liked the traditional feminine things, and couldn't do her makeup to save her life. sure, she occasionally likes getting dolled up, but only for a limited amount of time. she's always been "one of the boys" and has usually had more male friends than female friends. she used to have a bit of an "i'm not like other girls" attitude, but has mostly grown out of that line of thinking.
paranoid - as much of a risk-taker as hope likes to think she is, she is very paranoid. she checks the locks on her house multiple times before she goes to bed. she has to see her cat inside the house before she leaves, and then has to look around to make sure he hasn't gotten outside magically. hearing things in the house makes her think someone is inside to murder her.
romantic - hope sees the world through rose-colored glasses. she loves love, and tends to fall hard and fast. she also has a tendency to crush on multiple people at once, and jump from relationship to relationship. it isn't that she doesn't know how to be alone, it's just that she loves the idea of being in a relationship and wants to have some sort of fairy-tale romance.
stubborn - hope doesn't back down. when she thinks something is wrong or unfair, she won't hesitate to step up and won't let down until things are fixed. she's very set in her ideas of what is right and what is wrong, and her opinions are very hard to sway. she has been known to continue an argument even when she knows she's in the wrong.
caring - hope likes to think that, above all, she is a caring person. she has devoted a lot of her life, as well as their career, to helping other people and trying to leave the world better than she found it. she tends to put other people before herself, which can lead to her own mental health taking a dive.
fatalistic - hope has resigned herself to the fate of whatever powers that be. she feels very helpless in the bigger scheme of the world, and often has a very pessimistic view on life because of this. she thinks that if it's fate something will happen - then there's no point in trying to change it. this doesn't apply to everything in her life.
headstrong - when hope sets her mind to something - she doesn't back down. she does what she wants and rarely cares about what others think about it.
- hope was born as her parents' last hope in their marriage. needless to say, it didn't work.
- her parents divorced when she was five years old.
- hope's mother had primary custody, though she much preferred her father.
- her parents were both remarried by the time she was ten
- hope's mother got pregnant when hope was twelve. after the baby was born, hope's mom had her drop the baby off at the fire station. she hasn't heard from the kid since.
- hope started spending summers with her dad, partially so her mom could get time away from her. those were the best summers of her life
- by the time hope was fourteen, she realized she was closer to boys than girls. she liked hanging out with boys more, and wasn't interested in girly things. there started rumors at the school that she was gay.
- hope had a lot of friends in school, which was why she decided to go to school in seattle instead of going out of state. she loved her friends.
- hope moved out the second she turned eighteen. she decided to cut off contact with her mom. in order to avoid explaining how bad her parents were, she just decided to say her mom died of cancer
- hope had just turned nineteen when she met ryan. they dated, and it moved very quickly. soon enough, they were engaged
- it didn't take long until they broke up. they broke up after a huge fight about ryan's drug use
- not long after the breakup, hope did a very stereotypical thing - she got a cat. his name is mr. fluff and he's a very puffy white cat
- hope started more volunteer work on top of her work as the assistant director of the parks and rec department. she liked helping and wanted to put her skills to more use
- hope got into a string of relationships. over the last four years, she's been in a total of ten relationships, the longest one lasting a little over three months
- she tells people her mom died of cancer, when they really just stopped contact when hope turned 18
- she dropped her baby brother off at the fire station at her mom's request
- she pretends to be sick to get attention from people
- she hates the sound of chewing, so she hums when she eats
- hope only wears toe socks
- she always carries cash to give to homeless people
- she's taken very stupid bets for very small amounts of money
- she checks all locks in her apartment multiple times before able to go to bed (or leave the house)
- she has a cat named mr. fluff